Sunday, December 12, 2010

Bathroom update

So, I am sure many of you are wondering about the nursery.  Well, the nursery is on the back burner until the bathroom is finished.  The bathoom is about 40 square feet, but may as well be 5,000 considering the amount of problems we have come across.  See the laundry list below:

  • The space for the bathtub is not suited for a standard five foot tub, it is just a couple of inches short, meaning I had to order a 4 1/2 tub - which gave us a little too much space.  Easy fix, Eric's dad can build a shelf!  Problem solved.
  • Lets order tile - after walking around the tile store and looking at varying versions of essentially the same thing, Eric and I picked out floor and wall tile!  Yayyy-tile ordered.  Tile comes up one box short, re-order box, box is broken, re-order again, broken again!  Now we are just at their mercy and no idea when tile will arrive.  They really suck!
  • Plumbing - we just need to set a tub, ,add a shut off valve and get new sink fittings - couple of hours of labor, right?  Four plumbers later and a couple of astronomical quotes $1300 being one of them, we finally found a good/dependable/reasonable plumber who took care of our needs!  Finally something goes right!
  • Just looking for a small pedastal sink, I have seen tons of them - ohhhhh- I found the perfect one - it is at Lowes and it is a perfect size!!!!  What, it is only a display and you don't carry them and haven't for six months!  Thanks for nothing! So, we have settled on a basic sink that we don't love, but will do.  Another item checked off.
  • Fixtures for the sink and tub - copper, stainless steel, brass????  Lets go with copper - great, let's do it.  Purchase made - get home, open sealed box - pieces are bent!  Crap, let's return it - ok - picked up a new box, all set for the plumber - what - the second box is missing two pieces.  Another trip to Lowes!  Thanks Delta - teach your people how to box an item properly - especially if you are going to charge $200 for it.
  • Now, we have almost all the tile, the tub is in, and the sink is ready to go in after the floor.  Let's get to work.  Eric, bust up the tile!  Honey - we have a slight problem - this tile is not busting up.  What do you mean?  Well - it is not breaking up!  What does that mean?  I don't know! 
  • First, check out a pic of the tile below.  It's pretty right, why don't we just keep it?
  • Well, can we put tile on top of tile - in a word, no!  I will  keep you posted on the bathroom saga.  Hopefully these hiccups will begin to prepare us for parenthood.



1 comment:

  1. Oh girl dang! I feel ya though b.c that is basically how EVERY construction project goes no matter who does the work or what room etc. I could tell many stories Just like that! SO frustrating! I cant wait to see it get done though!

    ReplyDelete