On Wednesday, March 2nd, our lives changed forever..... Let's start with Monday of the week, I was uncomfortable, which is normal for someone in the last few weeks of pregnancy. I was convinced I needed to walk around more, so I drug Eric to the mall so that we could walk around looking for things we don't really need immediately. Monday came and went, no baby. Tuesday I worked my usual day, then told Eric I wanted to go for a walk since it was nice outside, so we walked about 1 1/2 and then returned home, in the middle of the night, I though maybe my water broke, but no, it did not. Woke up early on Wednesday and started my work day (luckily I have been working from home since 2/24). Around noon, I went to use the restroom, and boom, my water broke! Lucky me, I was already in the bathroom.
Despite what everyone told us, I insisted on taking a quick shower before we headed to the hospital, so Eric and I moved as fast as we possibly could - Eric was in the middle of lunch and the sandwich he had just made went straight into the fridge. We called the doctor and they wanted us to come in before heading to labor and delivery.
It was 12:05 and we were on the road. We swung by the doctor's office and they confirmed what we already knew, my water broke, I was also dilated to 5 cm. Yayyy -- we are on our way. I will tell you that your water breaking and the constant feeling of sitting in your own fluid is more disgusting than most other parts of labor.
I am wheeled over the hospital, mom is downstairs to meet us and Eric is going to check us in at admission. We are put in a room and then the fun begins. I get my IV with no issues - first stick which was nice, blood draw to make sure it is safe to give me the epidural, and in the meantime, I meet my Labor & Delivery nurse, Terri, best woman ever!
I am having contractions at anywhere between 2-4 minutes apart, dilated to six and getting close to seven when I get the epidural. Unfortunately that does take three attempts, but the third one takes and so I am waiting for it to kick in. At this point contractions are painful but bearable (I would still not plan on doing a sans epidural birth). The pain meds have kicked in and I don't feel anything below, my labor slowed down a little bit, so they added the slightest bit of pitocin. At 5pm, I am close to 9cm. Eric is hungry and asks Terri if he has time to go get some food downstairs - she checks me again and says I would not recommend leaving. At ten til 6pm, she checks me again, and 10 cm it is. She looks at Eric and I, and says, "are you guys ready to have a baby?" We are so excited, and it went so fast that I did not have a chance to be scared. With Eric and our delivery team all in place, we get ready to start pushing and 15 minutes later, Bennett arrives at 7 lbs, 7 oz - 19.5 inches long.
He is perfect in our eyes and incredibly healthy, so we are so excited and thankful for our blessings. I will post pictures soon of our new addition!
I am so happy that you had such a quick, enjoyable labor, Heather. Congratulations on Bennett - can't wait to see pictures!
ReplyDeleteHe is perfect and soooo sweet! I cant wait to hold him!! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteHooray!!
ReplyDelete